Mr Philip G Bartlett (Church Treasurer)
Porlock, Exmoor National Park,
Phone: 01643 862458
THE METHODIST CHURCH
High Street,Porlock, Service 10.30 am Coffee & fellowship following the service. All welcome
Minister: Rev. Jane Sperring
The first Wesleyan preachers from Taunton preached in Porlock from a mounting block in the main street in 1810. Many people followed their doctrine, and by 1826 had formed a Methodist Society. A Sunday School was opened for the children in 1826, and by 1837 the first Wesleyan Chapel was built in the High Street. The Society continued to flourish and became part of the Minehead and Dunster Circuit, with its own resident minister.
In 1927 the present Methodist Church, also in the High Street, was built and opened, whilst the old Chapel became a cafe. In 1932 the Wesleyans in Britain joined with other branches of Methodism to become the Methodist Church.
The church in Porlock is today very active, putting on a varied programme of events each year. The downstairs hall and meeting room are well used by church & community groups and are available for booking.
Porlock is the furthest west church in the West Somerset Circuit, which extends to Williton in the east, encompassing Minehead and large parts of Exmoor.
The Porlock Methodists give a warm Christian welcome to both residents and visitors to Porlock.