There are many types of architecture in Porlock. Some buildings are over 500 years old, there are also modern buildings. The old part of the village is through the main street, Doverhay and Hawkcombe. Notice that some buildings are of local stone, or stones from the beach. The old cottages were once thatched with wheat straw, as some still are, but many have had the thatch removed and replaced with tiles or slate. There are houses of Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian style, even imitations of the Gothic and Tudor style.
Another important building now a museum and snooker club is known as Dovery Manor, the present building built on the older foundation in c.1450 is a grade II listed building of local stone and the quoins of stone possibly from South Wales.
There are three inns in the village: The Ship is the oldest dating from the 12th century. The Royal Oak dated 1724 and the Castle Hotel – 1900 is a replacement for the previous Castle Inn, a thatched building sold in 1897 and rebuilt in its current mock Gothic style.
The Methodist Church, opened in 1927 is built of red sandstone from the now closed West Luccombe Quarry. The quoins and decorative work is of Bath stone. The present church replaced the former Wesleyan Chapel of 1837 which is now the Countryman restaurant.
Amongst the older buildings is the Parish Church of St Dubricious (the Celtic saint of Llandaff). The present building dates from the 13th century (1200-1300) when the Fitz-Roges family were Lords of the Manor. The unusual steeple with the top missing makes Porlock Church unique, the tower of stone is surmounted by a wooden steeple which is coated with oak shingles. The church both inside and out has had restoration and additions on several occasions.
Another old building is Chantry Cottage in the Drang, near the Parish Church, which used to be two cottages, now converted to one, this housed two Chantry priests employed in the church from 1475 until the 1547 reformation.